Firstly, like the Paul Simon song, you can call me ‘AL’.
As a kid I wanted to be designer, I loved to draw and I went to art school… twice. The second time I made films, yet on leaving I ended up doing something else to pay back my debts: media planning and buying. Yet over the years my passion for design and aesthetics has brought me back to the creative world.
My non-linear path – client side marketing roles, media agencies, creative agencies and briefly running my own design agency – means I look at brand and marketing problems across all disciplines, I’m generalist that always puts the customer at the centre of the solution.
5 strengths that will help you, your client and your business:
- Brand development: From global tobacco and alcohol brands to tiny start up bike shops I’ve lead projects that have delivered growth, recruited customers and launched innovation.
- Team Leadership: I’ve recruited account and creative teams, developed direct reports and mentored juniors
- Client servicing: I’m great at forging client / agency relationships at all levels inc. C-Suite, have a look at my recommendations below…
- Strategy: I love unearthing insights from consumer research, or even just observing consumers in a store and then developing brand positioning, messaging and channel strategy. Some of which I’ve presented to Global Brand Directors of major companies.
- Oh and I still draw… I’ve created a few visual ID kits and identities myself. I believe nearly all of us judge with our eyes first and so aesthetics drives the first impression, regardless of the medium. Creating assets first hand is the best way to appreciate and judge this.
This site is a collection of professional and personal work that I’m proud of.